Vada Pao is a famous Maharashtrian dish which is flavorful and delicious. I would love to call it an indianised burger. Its made from potato dumplings which are coated with gram flour batter and deep fried called batata vada and served with pav bread along with garlic dip and fried chilly. The amazing snack can be found in nearly every street of Maharashtra and is surprisingly economical. Heres a process following which you can enjoy it at your home.
Boiled potatoes 5no.s
Curry leaves 4-5
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Garlic paste 1tsp
Salt to taste
Red chili powder 1tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2tsp
Coriander powder 1tsp
Fennel seeds 1/4tsp
Anardana powder 1/2tsp
Garam masala ½ tsp
Garlic chutney 2tblspn
Gram flour 1.5cup
Red chili powder 1/2tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Baking soda 1/4tsp
Oil for frying
1. Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves, mustard seeds to it. When they crackle add garlic paste and mashed potatoes.
2. Add all the spices and salt and mix it well. If the mixture seems bit watery, you may add cornflour.Take balls not bigger than a table tennis ball size.
3. Make a batter of gram flour and water with a thick consistency.
4. Add spices and salt except baking soda. When the batter is smooth and you are ready to fry the balls, add baking soda and a spoon of hot water and whisk it up.
5. Coat the potato balls in batter with the help of fork and deep fry it until golden brown.
6. Place the balls on absorbent paper.
7. Take a pav and slit them into halves. Roast them on tawa.
8. Apply garlic chutney and place the fried batata vada inside it. You may apply green mint chutney as well.
9. Vada Pav is ready to serve.
Traditinally its served with fried green chilly.